If you’ve been following my recipes, you know I like colour as much as flavour and healthy ingredients. Today I felt like having something with salmon and broccoli and wondered how I could make it special. Here is what I came up with and it was super yummy!
Here is what you need (serves four – not too hungry people):
- 1 bag of brown rice (I bought zilvervliesrijst from Bosto at the Delhaize, normally for 2 people)
- 1 red onion
- 1- 2 hands full of cherry tomatoes
- 1 head of broccoli
- 150g soft goat cheese (I used Pur Chèvre from Chavroux) – if you are avoiding animal milk products, try coconut cream
- 2 large salmon fillets, you can get fillets with or without the skin (this is where you’ll definitely need more for bigger hunger)
- fresh thyme (use dried as an alternative)
- pepper and herb salt to season
- extra virgin olive oil
- coconut oil
Here are the instructions how to make it:
Cook the rice according to instructions (mine said 20 minutes).
Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
Brush an oven proof dish with a little bit of olive oil, place the salmon (skins down) in the dish and brush the fillets with olive oil. Season with black pepper and herb salt.
Cut the cherry tomatoes in half and distribute them over and around the salmon. Also brush with some olive oil.
Place the dish in the oven for about 20 min (this may be a little more or less depending on the thickness of your salmon).
In the meantime, cut the red onion into small pieces and the broccoli into medium size florets.
Your rice may be ready by now, drain the water and keep it warm in its bag the pot.
Steam the broccoli over boiling water or in about 2 cm of water in the pan for 5 to 6 minutes (so towards the end of the time for your salmon), keep it a little ‘al dente’.
While the broccoli is sweating, saute the onion over medium high heat in a little bit of coconut oil, stir occasionally. When they go soft and translucent, add the rice and the goats cheese, season with pepper, salt and fresh thyme, you can drizzle some olive oil over it if you like.
When the broccoli is ready, add it to the rice and carefully mix it in.
Arrange a piece of salmon with some of the tomatoes on 4 plates and spoon the broccoli rice next to it.
The ingredients of this meal are a good source for:
- vitamins A, B 6, B 12 and C
- calcium, magnesium, potassium and selenium
- dietary fiber
- omega 3 fatty acids